Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay (well in our case, lake)

Daily Mileage=15; Trip Total=10,020 (an easy day)

Today we did pretty much nothing but hung out by our lake view and enjoyed the time. It's still windy here and cool but reached about 80 degrees this afternoon.







We began the day with a wonderful surprise. A bald eagle came right down by the lake outside our room with a huge fish he caught. Needless to say we got the camera out and Rich proceeded to try and capture this event on film. (Easier said than done.)









Another eagle came and chased him away. He came back again and then 2 crows chased him non stop until they finally all flew away. Rich went out and looked at the remains. He said the fish was probably was a walleye about 18"to 24". The eagle ate most of it pretty fast (must have the Fedorczyk genes in him). It was very neat to watch this whole thing happen relatively close for about 15 minutes




We did lunch in a very "1950's " restaurant downtown. In fact, the entire town looks like something out of Mayberry. Very small and homey. You could get a coffee and piece of homemade pie (and I mean see the juice inside the Pyrex pie plate homemade) and a cup of coffee for $1.79. You can't even get a cup of coffee for under 2 bucks anymore, never mind a piece of good pie!!! I almost couldn't pass it up but did. Thank God I don't live here or I know where I'd be all the time.
Our next stop in town was the Boys & Girls Thrift Shop. Yes, can you believe it? We did in fact go into the thrift shop (must be missing the Bargain Box more than we realized) and we bought stuff!! I got a piece of green glass (hand blown and etched); two Royal Doulton coaster-dishes, a cute plastic wine glass and a slightly damaged Nippon deer statute for under $5.00!!! Corrine you'd go crazy here!!! Bargain Box Babes eat your hearts out! So that was our big shopping spree here in Detroit Lakes (which the locals just call, Lakes).
We are once again having a delightful cocktail while we watch the sun set. We almost hate to leave here but the road warriors are on their way again tomorrow to Sioux City, NE (no mistake, we're on the Nebraska side not the Iowa).
Good night. Sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite. (So far we haven't had any problems with them anywhere. However, I did find a tick on me the other day after hiking and I hope I don't end up with Rocky Mtn. spotted fever !!!)
Love&Joy, Mare&Rich

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! I just caught up on the last few days of the blog. I am feeling a little offended because my birth state has been left out almost entirely. The entry about North Dakota says South Dakota all through it! ;o)
Glad you're enjoying MN ... it's really beautiful in the summer.
Love,
Andrea

mareandrich said...

Andrea,
You're right I did say Theordore Roosevelt Park was in SD. I have to correct that.

SORRY....
Love,
Mare

mareandrich said...

Andrea,

Just want you to know I went back and corrected the blogs so they say ND instead of SD. All is well now,
Mare